Brief History of Dumaguete

Dumaguete  was coined from the Visayan word “dagit” which means ‘to snatch”. Acording to the legend, because of the frequent raids/attacks of the Muslim Pirates on the coastal town and it’s power to attract and make visitors stay, hence the word “dumaguet, meaning “to swoop”. It was Pedro Murillo Velarde, in 1734, indicated the present name of Dumaguete for settlement.

In 1890, the Negros Island was divided into two politico-military provinces, the Occidental and Oriental. In 1898, Dumaguete was included in Negros Oriental.

On May 1, 1901, the end of Philippine-American War, a civil government was established by the Americans in the province and this includes Dumaguete.  On August 28, 1901,  Dr. David S. Hibbard founded Silliman Institute currently known as Silliman University. It has become the first Protestant university in the Philippines. In 1904 seven Belgian nuns arrived in Dumaguete and opened St. Paul’s Academy.

During the World War 2 the city was occupied by the Japanses Imperial Forces (May 26, 1942). The combined forces of the U.S army and the Filipino Guerrillas liberated the Japanese occupation on April 26, 1945. Three year later (June 15, 1948), Republic Act No. 327 created the City of Dumaguete. On June 21, 1969, Republic Act No. 5797 also known as Revised Charter of Dumaguete City was enacted.

The City of Dumaguete is the largest city in the province of Negros Oriental but  is the smallest in terms of land area of 3,362 hectares (8,310 acres) and has 30 barangays and a population of 120,883 (2010 census).

Today the city is known as a University town because of the presence of four universities and several other colleges wherein students from neighboring towns converge to enroll for tertiary education, but it is most known and nicknamed as “The City of Gentle People”.